Google launched add-on-stores for Google Docs and Sheets. To use add-n on your docs or sheets select Get add-ons in the Add-ons menu of any open document or spreadsheet. Its only available for in the new Google sheets you are creating.
Google announced on their official blog post says that You use Google Docs and Sheets to get all sorts of stuff done—whether you’re staying up late to finish that final paper or just getting started on a new project at the office. But to help take some of that work off your shoulders, today we’re launching add-ons—new tools created by developer partners that give you even more features in your documents and spreadsheets.
Once you install any add-on’s on your documents or sheets, it will become available across all.
Google promises the following benefits while using add-on’s
- Better discovery: Apps Script has long been popular among programmers and other power users, but difficult for non-technical users to find and install. Add-ons let you distribute your code through a polished storefront—as well as direct links and even Google search results.
- Sharing: When two people collaborate on a document and one of them uses an add-on, it appears in the Add-ons menu for both to see. Similarly, once you get an add-on from the store, it appears in the menu in every document you create or open, although your collaborators will only see it in documents where you use it. For more info on this sharing model, see the guide to the add-on authorization lifecycle.
- Automatic updates: When you republish an add-on, the update pushes out automatically to all your users. There’s no more hounding people to switch to the latest version.
- Share functionality without sharing code: Unlike regular Apps Script projects, add-ons don’t expose your source code for all to see. That’s reassuring both to less-technical users and to the keepers of your codebase’s secrets.
- Enterprise features: If your company has its own Google Apps domain, you can publish add-ons restricted just to your employees. This private distribution channel is a great way for organizations that run on Google Apps to solve their own unique problems.
News via TheNextWeb.